Famous houses in the town of Vis

Enlarge map
Houses in the town of Vis
ZAMBERLIN'S COURTYARD (HANIBAL LUCIĆ'S HOUSE)
Hvar poet, Hanibal Lucić, had a property and house on the island of Vis, on the shore in Vis Bay which today is hardly recognizable. On the small square shore in Kut where once the sea could be found, within a group of houses facing north-east, is the spacious Zamberlin courtyard (Lambik coffee bar) and the house that, according to legend once pertained to the poet.
GARIBOLDI'S SUMMER HOUSE
In 1552, in the part of Kut known as Goveja, Croatian pharmacist Frane Gariboldi, built a Renaissance farm and country house over which entrance an inscription in Latin can be seen from the main street. The courtyard and the house behind it were divided between a number of families and from the long, west-facing balcony the palm and cypress garden can be pleasantly seen, having been planted and set in 19th century by the famous Vis builder Marinković. Villa Kaliopa restaurant has also been set in the same garden since 1997.
JAKŠA FAMILY SUMMER HOUSE – JOAKIN'S COURTS
The Jakša family summer house encloses the Kut area with its position and shapes the peaceful sunny atmosphere in which the writer Ranko Marinsković, born in Vis in 1915, set his short story "Balunjeri pod balkonom" (Old men under the balcony).
The local people have named the Jakša's building after Joakin Jakša who lived at the end of 17th century "Joakin's courts". However, this house is mentioned at the beginning of 17th century even before his appearance in Kut. This is a two winged one-storey house with balconies, a terrace, a storage area and a shop, a courtyard and a private part of the littoral, a park, a garden and a tower. This was all assembled and developed in a type of littoral farm and country fortified building equipped not only with fishing and agricultural tools but with a boat, artistic furniture, artistically crafted objects and paintings as its owners and their relatives were also members of the Hvar and Split aristocracy, Vis public notaries, mayors, benefactors and rulers of the Croatian People's Party at the end of 19th century.
ANDREUČIĆ HOUSE
In the area of Kut named after the poorly preserved Munjac well spring, is a building constructed over number of floors which is thought to have been owned by Jakša family and is currently known as Andreučić house. This building has a protruding semi-circular sentry-box on one of its corner which also served as a stove with openings to the roof. Beside the house there is also a terrace with trellis pillars and the entire structure and gardens are surrounded by walls with Baroque doors covered by arches.
MARDEŠIĆ HOUSE (BEHIND THE MARKET)
On the shore, along the main street, the Mardešić Renaissance and Baroque house stand out. At one time, people would enter its fenced courtyard through the wide door directly from the seashore before the promenade was built as well as from the land where entered through the other, western door. There is a stone fence decorated with relief angles in the courtyard which was once used for cultivating flowers and stone seats can be found by the wall. The steep inclined steps enclosed by a pillar fence in the form of a so called "dual pear" lead to the first floor and terrace which is also fenced with small stone pillars. In the centre of the terrace is a draw-well as well as a wall bench and pillars for a grape arbour.
RADOŠIJE'S PALACE
Radošije's Palace once dominated the port. A long balcony extends along the façade of the first floor and above it, on the second floor three smaller ones appear in sequence. All four balconies make the solid facade more picturesque and more graphical, although the carver who made them, being afraid of the empty boards like all local masters, was not only pleased with the picturesque aspect of the closed and strongly shaped pillar fences in the form of a so called "dual pear", but stimulated by his master's arrogance, and even decorated the lower parts of the balcony boards that are visible from the street, with rustically chiselled relief flowers and flying butterflies as well as a shell revealing a rococo style, but which also appears in Dalmatian Gothic and Renaissance works of art too.
DOJMI PALACE
Close to the Radošije's Palace is the larger Vukašinović's Palace on two floors inherited by the Dojmi family. The eastern part is older and has small windows on the ground floor whilst on the upper floors the windows are larger and surrounded by relief "diamond peaks". This eastern part of the façade was extended towards the west on both floors which were only built in 19th century above the ground floor which was built earlier.
TRAMONTANA HOUSE
On the square known as Klapavica after the draw-well that is still collocated here and close to the Gospina batarija fortress, the merchant Luka Tramontana built a Neo-Renaissance house on two floors. On its roof was a statue of a woman holding a torch whilst the house was decorated with gilded mosaics and emblems where, as well as chiselling the monogram L.T. and the year of the house's construction, 1911, we can also find the slogan "Work and patience".